Raba in Gyor has a long history.
The company built its first truck in 1904. In 1912 a
licence was acquired to build Praga 5-tonne trucks.
Another agreement was formed with Fried Krupp of Essen in
1920 to build Krupp trucks under licence.
By 1928 Raba had introduced its own 3-tonner. In the late
1930s Raba negotiated with MAN to licence-build its
diesel engines. During the wartime occupation, the
factory was dismantled. It wasn't until the late 1960s
that truck production resumed.
Between 1968 and 1975 a large investment in the Hungarian
motor industry saw Raba taking out a new licensing
agreement with MAN to build diesel engines and, from
1970, complete trucks. From 1984, when MAN replaced the
Saviem cab with the F90, Raba began fitting the DAF 2800
type cab but continued using Raba-MAN engines. Since then
they have offered a wide range of heavy trucks. Military
vehicles have been a part of the production too, and Raba
is today a leading manufacturer of truck axles.